The Dead and the Gone (The Last Survivors, Book 2) by Pfeffer, Susan Beth [Hardcover(2008/6/1)] - Susan Beth Pfeffer

Title: The Dead and the Gone

Author: Susan Beth Pfeffer

Series: Last Survivors, 2

Format: ebook

Length: 636 pages (iPhone)

Rating: 3.5 stars

Synopsis: Susan Beth Pfeffer’s Life as We Knew It enthralled and devastated readers with its brutal but hopeful look at an apocalyptic event--an asteroid hitting the moon, setting off a tailspin of horrific climate changes. Now this harrowing companion novel examines the same events as they unfold in New York City, revealed through the eyes of seventeen-year-old Puerto Rican Alex Morales. When Alex's parents disappear in the aftermath of tidal waves, he must care for his two younger sisters, even as Manhattan becomes a deadly wasteland, and food and aid dwindle.
With haunting themes of family, faith, personal change, and courage, this powerful new novel explores how a young man takes on unimaginable responsibilities.

Favourite character: Alex

Least favourite character: N/A

Mini-review: While not as shocking as the first one (because we know what to expect, it's the same things from someone else's perspective) it's still very hard-hitting. It's scary to read about and I like how Alex was left in charge of his sisters and he had to battle with the thoughts of being man of the house, a man his somewhat abusive father would be proud of.

I loved the Catholicism aspect.